Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Think Happy Thoughts...Then Fly...

Well, today's weather is really bad.  Typhoon Pedring has hit and is wreaking havoc in the country.  Although our government has more or less learned from past typhoons and has improved their system, still it's sad to see devastation everywhere.

But on to something oddly amusing to me but at the same time a bit scary.  This was my experience this morning and around noon when I went to the office and when we were sent home.

Going to the office was a bit easy.  The rain hasn't really started yet and the wind is just starting to pick up.  I didn't have a problem going to work up until I got down the MRT station and started walking towards my office.  By that time, the wind has picked up and it started to drizzle.  Upon reaching Robinsons Tower, the wind became very strong, almost destroying my umbrella.  Since I have no choice but close it, I preceded to my office building huddled inside my hooded coat.  But the wind kept picking up.  When I was about to cross the street, there was a very strong gust pushing me back if I hadn't caught a railing to keep me from flying off.  I have to wait a few seconds for the wind to die down a little before proceeding to cross the street.

The wind kept playing around.  Suddenly it would be too strong to handle...the next moment it would quiet down.  I have to make myself as small as possible so as not to get swept away by the wind.

I did eventually reached out office...my pants wet up to my knees and my coat very drenched.  My umbrella was saved but just barely.  I'm afraid that one more blow from a strong wind would finally kill it.  So I have decided that when I get home, I won't be opening my umbrella and just rely on the coat that I brought with me to work.

At around 11:00 am, my boss officially sent me home.

Going home was a bit trickier.  By that time, the rain was pouring along with the strong wind.  As I huddled in my coat walking towards the exit of my building, my mind was set to doing only one thing: GET HOME HOWEVER WAY YOU CAN.  So, I started walking, trying to ignore the already badly damaged metal walls that were put up in construction sites and the rain that was pouring at a diagonal angle and the strong winds that by now wasn't giving me any kind of break at all.  It just kept getting at me with all its might that I was honestly shocked that I had kept both feet on the ground and kept walking towards the MRT Station.  But I did experience a moment or two when I felt myself being lifted off my feet for only a few seconds that I was lucky enough in those occasions that I was near a railing that I had grabbed hold of and kept me there for the duration of the gust.

I got home safely enough, albeit wet from the waist down but heck...nothing that a good shower couldn't cure.

I guess this goes on to the list-of-extreme-things-that-I-need-to-do-to-get-home-during-typhoons.  I wonder what my next adventure would be?

No comments: