Friday, April 13, 2012

I Just Have To Say May Piece

I heard a cousin of mine will be hosting a radio show.  The very first discussion that he will be dealing with is the issue of transgenders joining the Ms. Universe pageant.

When I voiced out my opinion that he should have been more concern of the pine tree cutting incident in Baguio, he answered "Environment concern has been tops in Albay for seveal years already. We have made measures in order to lessen the impact of climate change. We are tops on that department. Also, Baguio City is too far from bikol such that their concern is not much felt by the people in Albay."

Now, here's my opinion about that.  Just because it's far away from your Region it doesn't mean that it will not affect it.  Climate change is a global phenomenon and just because the damage is concentrated in one area doesn't mean that it will not affect the planet as a whole.  The ozone layer is thinning in Antarctica (correct me if I'm wrong about the location) but the effects of it is felt world wide.  Polar icecaps are melting there as well and we are feeling the effects of it by the drastic changes of the weather.

To say that it is not a concern very much just because it's far away is just wrong.  Granted that Albay has the environment on top priority doesn't really mean that they shouldn't be concern with the issue.  It should be a constant reminder to everyone that our planet is dying and that we should really be aware of it.  Do you have to wait for Henry Sy to actually build an SM Mall in Albay and cut down hundred year old trees for it to be a concern?  It shouldn't, right?  It should be a constant reminder to everyone that our planet is dying and that we have to be always aware that we need to save it even with the littlest things that we do.  Why should the issue of transgenders in the Ms. Universe pageant be a priority?  Would it save the environment if we voice out our opinions with it?  Would it really affect everyone that a man won a beauty pageant?  It's good for discussion, a worthy topic for a debate even, but after that, then what?  Did it really help the world in general?

So, I have said my piece.  I will want no further argument or discussion after I post this.  I know that come May 5 (since I will see them then), I will get it from my cousins and being good lawyers that they are, I will not be able to argue my way out of this hole that I dug myself in.

But on a good note, I do wish my cousin good luck and hope there will be good discussions on his radio show tomorrow, even if to me, tomorrow's discussion is just superficial.

No comments: