Friday, October 17, 2014

Farewell, Doña Anita

Last night, I got a call from my mom informing me that our grandmother (my dad's mom) has passed away.  She was 101 years old.

I wouldn't be a hypocrite and say that I was very close to my grandmother.  As growing up I only see her on occasion whenever she visits us or when we visit her in the province.  But she was a nice lady.  She loves her grand children and great grand children dearly, and she shows it by showing us with food, drinks and never complain whenever we were rowdy and loud.  She would just smile and laugh at our antics.

Vacations were always great because she never forgets stocking her ref with softdrinks.  Her ref would be full of Coke, Sprite or Royal with a bottle opener tied next to the ref and straws just at arms reach from each other.  She would not complain if we just come barging in and just get as many as we wanted.  How we never get diabetes whenever we're there is a great mystery to me.  But it shows how generous the woman was and how she opens her arms to everyone who needs it.

Even in her last moments her mind was still alert.  Even when she was 100years old she still knows us by name.  She would smile and great us and ask us how we are.

I was never close to my grandmother.  But she was a great woman.  And I will remember her as the devoted wife, loving mother, doting grandmother/great grandmother.

Vacation in Negros will never be the same as entering her soon-to-be empty house would just bring back bitter sweet memories of childhood.

Lola Nita...we will miss you!  Say hi to Lolo Desto for me when you see him again.

No comments: