Friday, November 25, 2016

Conversation With My Muse

Whenever I write, inspiration usually hit me in odd moments.  Sometimes, it's the commute going to work or going home.  Sometimes, it's a first thought when I wake up in the moment.  Other times, the ideas would pop in my head when I'm about to fall asleep.  Ideas come and go.  Stories are being played in what I call the "DVD player in my mind".  And I credit it all to my Muse.

I just call her that, my Muse.  She doesn't have a name and her face keeps changing every so often that it's getting a little confusing. But like the Greek goddesses of old, she would be in a white toga-like dress draped fashionably around her body.  She would pop in my room unannounced and would urge me to write this story that she placed in my head.  Most of the time I do, but there are those moments when she would be too excited with the story that we're writing and she would jump scenes. This was one of those moments.

It happened back in September...

"We're not there yet," I said to her with exasperation in my voice.

"But it's the good part!" She answered, insisting that I write the scene down.

"But we've barely written the getting-to-know-each-other part!" I replied. "And now you want me to write a part where they've established a deep friendship?"

"But the getting-to-know-each-other part is boring!"

"It's essential!

"It's still boring!"

I let out a huge sigh and ran my fingers through my hair.

"Dear Muse," I tried to explain again. "I need to establish a deep connection. Without that deep connection, your scene will be useless. I need that connection. That connection is important. So come on! Work with me here!"

She gave a huff and walked about the room with her arms crossed. Three paces forward, three paces back. Yup my room is that small but she managed to let out steam in the cramped space that we share.

Finally she stopped and faced me.

"Fine!" She said. "Let me think about it first. I'll find a way to make your so-called 'deep connection' less boring."

I could only smile as she disappeared. Another small victory I won against my Muse.

No comments: